The log cabin was constructed in 1874 by Michael Courtney II, grandson of John Courtney. The Courtney family were very early arrivals in what would become Moore Township. John and Bertha (Traxler) Courtney settled on Lot 39, Front Concession, in about 1801. The tombstone of their son John indicates that he was born at Moore in 1802, the first Euro-Canadian born in Moore Township (and died at Moore in 1874). Originally located on lot 13, concession 7 (about 3 km from its present site), this cabin was built as a family home but later became a drive shed. When Moore Museum was being established in the mid-1970s, the cabin was moved to the site and restored as a log cabin home.