In 1886, the Erie & Huron Railroad completed construction of a line which provided two round trips daily between Chatham and Sarnia. This railway was later operated in succession as the: Lake Erie and Detroit River RR; Pere Marquette RR; and the Chesapeake and Ohio (C&O) RR. Mooretown was served by this route, which offered both freight and passenger service. Passengers originally boarded from the front porch of a hotel, but in 1893, this building was constructed on the corner of Napoleon and Poultney Streets for that purpose.
With the increasing popularity of travel by car, the need for passenger service declined to the point where the station was closed. The building was relocated to the St. Clair Parkway where it was rented out as a house. In 1988, when the owners decided to build a new house on the lot, they donated the station to Moore Museum. A crew of Museum volunteers relocated the building to the Museum site.